Monday, May 26, 2008

People

 

I am a people person. I watch. I listen. And I project: Trust Me with your deepest darkest secrets. Most importantly: I do not betray that trust.

I rode the train to work when we lived in Chicago. Loved it. I read an amazing amount of books and wrote an amazing amount of ridiculous stories and poems. But, no matter what I was doing, I always found someone wanted to talk. I should say they wanted to be heard. And I heard. I actually listened. I tried to be positive. I even hugged a depressed man who had just found out he was HIV positive and I was the first person he had told. He needed someone that could listen and he picked me. Why?

I wonder about him, and about the man that used to sing me songs on the way to bet on the ponies. I wonder how many people have sit in the seats I sat in and listened to the lonely people. I wonder if stupid girls are still climbing the stairs and sitting on the top wearing short skirts. And now, you are too. But really, those trains taught me that I do project 'trust me'. Not a bad thing. I am more than OK with that, I can work with it. So I ask: Could you? Could you be the person to listen and console? Could you hug a stranger?

Let me know will ya?

Thanks.

Oh and for the record: Happy DOES NOT mean stupid.



9 comments:

  1. I can't say that I've had strangers tell me their stories, but I would definitely be open to it. I think that I'm a good listener, though, and I do like to hear my friend's stories. I also like to share my own stories with friends because I know they'll understand and be supportive. I'm the kind of person that values quality over quantity, substance over flash - so I have very few friends, but the ones that I do have are the best people I've ever met and I love them very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I was very comfortable with you from the moment we met! I would completely have trusted you. And you are a great listener!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! It's funny, but sometimes you just know that you've clicked with someone - instantly. I guess I do believe in love at first sight!  =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always have believed, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the new theme you changed to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You would think I would create my own, wouldn't ya? Nope. Not that original. I'll just borrow from the talent pool. It was time for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The reason I don't make my own is that Vox is too limited. It's easy to use, but you have no real control over stuff. Maybe we should set up our own WordPress blogs sometime. Then we can have total control. Think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL..make me think why don't ya?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool. Let me know what pops up!

    ReplyDelete

Google - Not a medical pancea.

  “You should write this, “ Patty said to me, “You need to share this story of triumph using Google.” I wish I hadn’t said yes. Dr. Google A...