Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Journalistic Integrity: Found

At one point in time, many years, but no so long ago, I wanted to be an investigative reporter. I wanted to be a Photo Journalist. I had an aptitude for one but not the other. And in the hustle and bustle of things that could not be changed I decided that journalism was not for me after all. Why? I was unable to fulfill my commitment to my Journalism Teacher because I was very sick. She moved on and I was left to write small articles, I was left behind so instead of staying the course and working my way back into the groove, I moved on to something else. But here's the thing: I didn't really. I just stopped writing as much. I was editing things in my head, taking stock and asking questions, forming concepts and talking about it but not writing.


Until now, I had no purpose to write. All things are already being talked about and I had lost my passion for prose. Until Bug.

He makes me want to write again. He makes me investigate and search for the story, the reason, the headline. I see him, daily, just being a 7 year old boy and not thinking anything about his Epilepsy, in fact I am not sure he thinks much at all but he is happy. He knows no difference. Our lives are forever different, but his is what it has always been and I moved to share that. Motivated to bring hope to people that *do* think about their Epilepsy and are having a hard time reconciling that their life is not all about their Epilepsy. So, I write again, hopefully I write with purpose and with clarity. With no passion but fact as proof. Hopefully.



4 comments:

  1. You are a great talent and I'm thrilled you are going to write again! 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I am having a tough time starting it though. :) Actually am building an outline of things I need to address. Maybe tomorrow I will break through the fog. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure you are not my daughters twin separated at birth. You two do have in common a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I would love to be, but she is much more talented and lovely. 

    ReplyDelete

Google - Not a medical pancea.

  “You should write this, “ Patty said to me, “You need to share this story of triumph using Google.” I wish I hadn’t said yes. Dr. Google A...