Thursday, January 29, 2009

Edumecation

Oh we are all about school this week. All about it.

Bug will, most likely, be starting school on Tuesday.  We will meet with his teacher on Monday to discuss goals. He will be put in an Autistic Classroom for evaluation and then we will re-evaluate at the end of the week or two weeks or a month. Glenn and I both think it will be the end of the DAY. :) But we will see. I am concerned but I suppose every mother is. He is so sweet and....determined. I hope he isn't too bossy, he can tug like no one I have EVER known. But, this will be exactly what he needs, it does not help him being home with me, it only feels better for me. I am able to protect him at home, I am able to accept or not accept what he does with his poopy diapers. And I am to see him whenever I want, to cuddle with him when I need a cuddle. Because, he is the sweetest little man.

Tay brought home the flu or some type of other crud and didn't go to school Wednesday and probably won't go tomorrow either. Poor thing. But she was OK about staying away until she was "all better", UNTIL she saw the picts of her first day. Game over after that. And then the game of negotiation began. It played out slyly. She acted like it was no big deal after I told her no. Gave it a few minutes and then said:

Mom, I need Afrin.

I said: You can't breathe?

She responded: Nope. (sniff, sniff, cough, cough)

She has had Afrin once before and it helped her sleep so I gave her a little. After a few minutes:

Well, I have my Afrin, I can go to school now.

After I stopped laughing, I said, as if it mattered : Afrin just masks the symptoms, you are still sick.

She sniffed again and said: Nope I can breathe better, I can go. (cough, stiffled cough)

I told her: Ya, no. NOT gonna happen, you are still sick and we have to think about the other kids, It's when sick girls and boys go to school that the healthy kids get sick, so you have to stay home until you are not coughing, sniffling or have a fever.

She said: Oh, OK Mom

And went into the family room to watch SpongeBob.



2 comments:

  1. I swear to god Bill, you make me teary-eyed EVERY DARN TIME! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JJ,

    Sniff.

    I would be lying if I didn't admit that the idea of having him somewhere else for a few hours everyday wasn't sounding heaven sent, because it does, cleaning the house and having it STAY cleaned, what a foreign concept? However, I am forever a different person because of him, not just because of being his mother, but because of being the person that he relies on the most. Tay, is very independant, he, is always reaching for me, and smiling at me, touching my face and wanting to make me happy. It's a drug, a selfish, "someone REALLY loves' me drug.

    But I know he is more important than that, and I am perhaps the most empathetic person in the world. I will ache for him, and I will ask all the questions he can not and I will be more like myself and yet I will be more complete as his protector, I would be lost without him and I suppose I will be a little lost for a time. Until I know for sure, that he is blossoming, and he is enjoying his life, and that he is who is supposed to be and all he can be.

    I am a better person because he is my son, I have no doubt. The only doubt is whether I will do him justice.

    Thanks for everything! You are a true friend! A very rare thing and I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete

Google - Not a medical pancea.

  “You should write this, “ Patty said to me, “You need to share this story of triumph using Google.” I wish I hadn’t said yes. Dr. Google A...